Monday, April 04, 2005

What is Feminism, redux

Just got to the Reg, post-panel. I was happy enough with my speech, kinda wish I wasn't nervous about public speaking. Highlights of the evening included panelist Julie Fredrickson complaining about how everyone on the panel was invited because they were known to fit some stereotype--she identified herself as the "bimbo" and noted that two other panelists had identified themselves, respectively, as a minority woman and as a lesbian (for the record, she prefers "dyke"). After going around and saying who was supposed to be which panelist, Julie got to me and said, "Phoebe...", then asked which one I thought I was, but then quickly decided I was the "proto-academic." If one must be put into a box...

In retrospect I think I may have been the "conservative" panelist, in that not once did I say anything about gendered spaces. I actually asked whether this "woman's space" everyone was talking about was physical or metaphorical because I simply did not know. I was guessing metaphorical, but turns out it's physical, that there is/will be some kind of women's center. I guess that would be sort of like Kate and me sitting around, with her mocking me for being a blogger, but on a larger scale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad it made the night more interesting for you. I got rather bored and hoped to entertain myself by rambling.