Friday, April 22, 2005

Ccchhhhharoset

Today in Hebrew, we made haroset, the Passover food that looks, as our teacher admitted, something like baby food, but tastes good, assuming, as we established, that you don't have an aversion to any of the individual ingredients. One kid in the class doesn't like nuts, and when confronted with almonds, did not know what that food was called. He is, as far as we can tell, American, so this was pretty amusing. Another kid in the class, though Jewish, said he's not celebrating Passover, and refused to try any of the haroset, so our teacher yelled at him for being a "cosmopolitan." Then she told me I'm skinny and encouraged me to eat excessive amounts of matzo dipped in some kind of Israeli Nutella. I did, gladly, along with much haroset, which made for a weird but tasty breakfast indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I love haroset, I despise Matso. In fact, I haven't done a true Passover in the past three years due to work. And I'm not complaining.

Of course, my family hates me for that. Oh well.

Happy Passover folks.

Anonymous said...

My lunch today was matzo with peanut butter and jelly. Delicious. I eat matzo all year long, though I've never celebrated Passover. A lapsed Catholic from NYC, currently living in a Southern Red state. --JM