Sunday, April 17, 2005

Chicago-specific rant: Books, buses, BA...

Last night, someone at a party asked me if I was an econ major. This has never happened to me before, and I would take it as a sign that I'm dressing too conservatively these days, if the question weren't a follow-up to an insinuation that I am less than literate. Books--both as a subject of conversation and books themselves--make appearances at Chicago parties from time to time, but what can I say, I wasn't in a literary mood. However, the revelation that I am, in fact, a French literature major, set things straight, re: my literacy and my field of study, or maybe just the latter.

In other UChicago-specific news, what's up with the #173? Waited a long time at the bus stop in front of the Eddie Bauer on Michigan Ave. last night, till the #173 finally approached...and sped right past. Why did it do that?

In one final bit of Chicago-ness, my BA, in it's sad mix of French and English, all-caps and actual paragraphs, has finally hit some sort of a halfway point. Or something. Better get back to it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Last night, someone at a party asked me if I was an econ major."

The only appropriate response is to throw your drink in that someone's face.

"Waited a long time at the bus stop in front of the Eddie Bauer on Michigan Ave. last night, till the #173 finally approached...and sped right past. Why did it do that?"

Obviously because the bus driver had fashion sense. I'd steer clear of Eddie Bauer too.

"my BA, in it's sad mix of French and English, all-caps and actual paragraphs, has finally hit some sort of a halfway point."

Beware. Most professors aren't fond of papers in all-caps. Try to limit them to the first letters of proper names and the beginnings of sentences. Are you an econ major?

Double beware. If you actually do finish this thing, your time available for procrastination related activities may be severely reduced.

And triple beware. With all the time you're devoting to your paper, you've been neglecting your wireless.

Anonymous said...

"...the #173 finally approached...and sped right past. Why did it do that?"

Due to recent CTA service cuts, drivers now make just every third stop. Also, limbs may now be exchanged for 30 day passes.

Incidentally, Eddie Bauer's crimes against taste are kiddie stuff next to the odious Grand Lux Cafe, a fixture (I believe) of that same corner.