Thursday, October 21, 2004

SJM, GOP, Seeking SJF, GOP

Let's get down to business. David Bernstein's detailed analysis of why American Jews hate Republicans comes down to one key point:

"The kind of disgust [of Jews for Republicans] that makes it hard for Republican Jewish young men (who seem to wildly outnumber Republican Jewish young women) to get dates."

Here's a suggestion: There aren't that many Jews in this country, and there are still fewer Republican Jews. If getting a date is a priority, it might help to widen the pool of potential loves to include either Democrats or non-Jews or both. Or at least one ought to be a bisexual Jewish Republican, which would not only increase one's chances of getting a Jewish Republican significant other, but would also be an amusing self-description to bring up at cocktail parties.

5 comments:

Daniel said...

Though I'm not an actual Republican, I am more conservative than most Democrats and can empathize with what Bernstein was saying. Because of my presidential choice, I have been told by a select few number of women (Jewish and gentile) that I am "undateable." So it isn't just that Jewish Republicans don't want to date Democrats. Often times, Jewish Democrats don't want to date Republicans.

Anonymous said...

This strikes to the heart of the close-mindedness of liberals.

Daniel said...

Anon - Maybe, but I'm not sure I'd let the conservatives off that easy. I've also been told I'm undateable because I support Same-Sex Marriage. The way I see it, if I'm upsetting both sides, I must be getting some thing right.

Thomas J. Brown said...

That just convinced me to change my religion and my political affiliations. Cocktail parties, here I come! -)

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Most people consider most other people undateable, for any number of reasons. This phenomenon has been dealt with elsewhere in far more sophisticated terms than I could have come up with (see, "Seinfeld").

That said, I believe that if a person won't date you because of your politics, had you not mentioned your politics, they would have not dated you on account of having to wash their hair. Any individual Jewish Republican is likely to be appealing to some others--Jewish and non-, Dem. and Rep.,--and unappealing to most others, including most other Jewish Republicans.