Monday, May 23, 2005

Scholar-types are just like us!

Classics Cafe is a happening place. I went there for lunch this afternoon. Lunch is a bit of an exaggeration, as is calling the place a "cafe" but complaints about UChicago campus food are for another time, or may simply end altogether now that I'm just about finished up here. In any case, amidst the wood paneling and busts of Socrates, a girl walked in with what I think are "Sevens" but were in any case one tight pair of jeans, and a very short shirt that tied in the front. This dude pretending to read a book took note. (I wasn't pretending to do anything other than watch everyone around me; having only 10 minutes to waste, there was no time to be fake-scholarly). Another guy, all intellectual-like, surrounded by books and rolling tobacco and wearing the requisite blazer, chatted on his cellphone.

In other, tragic news, I was craving Thai food all afternoon, only to learn that Snail is closed on Mondays. But why? There are only maybe three days a year when I really, really want Snail food, and was this ever one of them. Siam, next door, wouldn't cut it. Tomorrow pad se eww will once again sound unappetizing. Oh well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I wasn't pretending to do anything other than watch everyone around me"

Please immediately cease and desist from breaking the cafe code.

If you've only got 10 minutes, a magazine or newspaper will suffice as cover for your wanton peoplewatching activities.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Eh. They don't care. Because if they showed they cared, they'd have to stop pretending to read. And it wasn't like I was just sitting there--I had a mocha and a stale bagel keeping me busy.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think the hierarchy of Thai restaurants on 55th Street that begin with an "S" goes like this:

1) Siam
2) Snail

This is being rated in terms of food quality, mind you.