Tuesday, May 24, 2005

In praise of the Asian station

Taking my cue from Raffi "Waddling Thunder" Melkonian, I'm going to tell you what I'm eating this week. Well, this evening, at least, since my food memory isn't flawless. So the Snail stirfry cravings did not disappear as predicted, but going all the way to Snail struck me as excessive, so I went with the much-more-practical Bartlett. How bad could their Asian (and in this context, "Asian" is used with no nuance or acknowledgement of diversity among the many Asian cultures) station be? In the past, terrible, but tonight it was completely fab. Wok-fried tofu, broccoli, water chestnuts, baby corn, and Szechuan sauce on top of a huge mound of rice. Too much sauce, perhaps, but tasty. That said, the time has come to write a paper on Balzac. Such an endeavor should ideally be fueled by steak frites, a delicate salad of mache, and a glass of red wine, but my diet Coke is at just the right temperature, so I can't complain.

No comments: