Wednesday, May 04, 2005

On the McJob

McJob. n. A low-pay, low-prestige, low-dignity, low benefit, no-future job in the service sector. Frequently considered a satisfying career choice by people who have never held one.

-Douglas Coupland, Generation X

Yesterday, during Nick's second full day as a trained employee, the following happened:

* Due to a combination of not eating, illness, and the novelty of being forced to stand all day, I almost passed out at approximately 3 PM. A lemonade, a bad burrito (skip Burrito Beach, people!) and a Ben & Jerry's chocolate shake later, I was feeling much better.

* I got my first "I'm complaining to you about another one of your employees" customer. I failed to mention to said customer that this "rude" employee is in fact one of my superiors, and so just apologized. I also failed to mention that said customer's McDonald's cup, into which he was spitting tobacco remnants, was simply revolting, and that I was wishing him gum cancer. I hear that's painful.

* I sold some stuff to Roger Ebert, of Siskel and Ebert, and now of Ebert and Roeper. Ebert's very quiet. He likes opera. I was nervous, and forgot to give him his receipt. You know, that thing that's really important for returning stuff. Oops.

But, nothing can make me unhappy, because I got my shiny new Chicago Card Plus in the mail. They've waived the $5 activation fee, so get yours today.

No comments: