Saturday, November 20, 2004

Humility and humidity

The "Style" section is always filled with descriptions of the extravagant and unnecessary purchases of the very rich, to which the sort-of-rich Sunday Times readers are supposed to respond with feelings of disgust at the way their college classmates who became bankers instead of professors, movie producers instead of writers, spend their money.

So this week, there's an article about the $800 (gasp!) haircut, with quotes as well from purveyors of the $500 haircut, even the lowly $250 cut. And all I can think is, I could really use a good haircut, one that does not involve borrowing Kate's scissors and trying to even out my bangs without this being the result. Am I horrified by the excesses of the very-well-groomed? I was this summer when surrounded by such women, but after a week of very humid Chicago weather, I can see where people who hand over $800 and say "do something about this" are coming from.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I saw the Times' headline, I honestly thought the article would be about the $7 places in Chinatown. The places where they put shampoo in your hair even though there's no running water.

Daniel said...

Okay, I'm curious. What exactly is wrong about looking like Audrey Tautou?

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

The thing is, that haircut looks good only on Audrey Tautou, and does not, as some would have it, make other girls look like the actress.