Tuesday, February 01, 2005

"They can scream, they can cry, they can grow breasts"

In the National Review, Warren Bell tells it like it is: "Men are funnier. Way funnier. Not even close. Male writers, male actors, male stand-up comedians. All funnier....And the funniest woman of all time in any aspect of the business probably doesn't crack the top ten of all-time funniest people." Well, he's entitled to his opinion.

He then asks: "Okay, show of hands: How many girls memorized all the dialogue from Monty Python and the Holy Grail when they were 14? No one? Not a surprise. But I did..."

Guess what? So did I. And I was a 14-year-old girl who also liked boys, shoes, hanging out with the cool kids, and all that fun stuff. I'd memorized Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Seinfeld...but also Absolutely Fabulous, Strangers with Candy, and other fine examples of women being incredibly funny. While a National Review, anti-PC audience will surely nod along with anything that suggests men have senses of humor while women "can scream, they can cry, they can grow breasts," and "can be heartbreakingly beautiful," this is just utter nonsense. And if it's humorless to take such an article seriously, I shouldn't worry, since I've already gone through puberty, and clearly don't need to rely on being amusing to get attention.

2 comments:

thehotlibrarian said...

Great post! That article made me mad for a second, until I realized how not funny the man who wrote the article was.

Like you, I've memorized plenty lines from those supposed "men only" movies, even though I have breasts and I can scream and cry! I wonder how I managed to do that, with my small female brain? Who knows.

Anonymous said...

He was obviously speaking in general terms. In general young girls wouldn't enjoy many of those things.

So what if you did? How does that effect what he said? You are an exception. In fact, he's a direct quote from his article- "Just so we're clear, we're talking about "on the whole," "in general," and any other qualifier you can come up with."

If you have a logical response to this, I'd love to hear it.