Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Settling in

This whole "having a prescription transferred" thing is a myth, right? CVS here can't seem to manage it, and here in the woods, there are no stores, and that includes pharmacies. And Princeton seems to have many pharmaceutical companies... and a CVS.

Given that it's, realistically, a minimum of three hours and $33 (!!!) plus Metrocard fare to go back into NY to run errands, I'm kind of keen on treating this move like an actual, well, move, and only going back in for NY-specific things that are either a) important, or b) fun.

Yet things keep arising such that it almost seems the most efficient option to go back and forth on NJ Transit with tote bags full of practical. This mysterious "car" thing we keep discussing is apparently so expensive (even if not bought outright) that if we did have one, that would just about rule out using it to go and buy anything else, and of course it's not as if I can drive it, while it's also not as if I will ever learn how to drive without a car to learn with. The shuttle is inefficient and infrequent but free. The bike is something I bought long ago, while still a dependent (i.e. in college), and thus also gets files under "free," but while I now have the muscles needed for uphill, I have yet to find each major trip on it anything other than a series of near-death experiences.

My to-do list for the next week, month, is monumental, as in kinda-like-qualifying-exam-time insanity. I'll try not to take that out on CVS, although it would be great if they'd do more than "try" to contact my pharmacy in New York.

4 comments:

turtle said...

It might be easier if you have your doctor call the new pharmacy with your prescription. I moved recently and had to do this, and it worked! Btw, I discovered your blog recently and love it:)

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Thanks for the suggestion, and the enthusiasm!

A Longtime Reader said...

How frustrating.If the NYU Health Clinic won't call in your Rx to the pharmacy, which is very surprising, then they might at least offer to email/fax you a copy of the original Rx if you explain your situation to them. This way CVS will only need to verify the information in front of their noses. Just make sure to have a backup copy in case CVS loses it. Better yet, don't leave CVS until the pharmacist verifies the Rx. You might have to wait a few minutes but it beats a 3 hour trip to NYC. Hope it works out!

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

I'm sure NYU could manage it, it might be a hassle but it's no doubt possible. But I think I've got it sorted out now, thanks!