Monday, January 17, 2011

Dorm life at 27

Impressions of the living situation thus far:

Cons:

The girl who lived in the room before me left her decorations. And her food trash. And her makeup-remover pads. And another kind of pad.

There is no wireless.

There are communal - coed! - restrooms down the hall. I have yet to examine the shower situation.

Dishwasher? Ha! I'd adjust to the lack of luxury much more readily if not moving from a lower Manhattan recession-special condo rental. I've gone from too nice for the likes of a grad student to, well, an undergrad dorm. The room is possibly a step up from my previous NY apartment.

Dorm bed. But this is so obvious it hardly counts as a "con," right?

Exiting the building means being handed the same pro-Palestinian flyer I took the first time (research!) but would rather not have 100 copies of. Finally, the activist has come to recognize me, and knows I already have one.

Pros:

In the center of Paris. Slightly more charming than Battery Park City.

No roommate.

The room has a sink. A big sink. If I were just a bit smaller, a bath.

So my computer's attached to a wire. There are worse things.

There is a kitchen down the hall. Not a very inviting one, and realistically I'll be eating bread and cheese in my room, but at least if I get carried away at a market, I could potentially make a 12-course meal.

It's temporary. There is more Battery Park City, then following Jo to his seemingly more glamorous postdoc housing, to look forward to.

2 comments:

Erika D. said...

Just getting clued in on your travels. A semester in Paris now? I have one word for you: "jalouse"!

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

You might think otherwise if you saw the showers. But the almond croissant I just ate (for lunch, but jetlag excuses all) makes up for it.