Monday, January 23, 2006

Three and three

I've never been big into these "memes," but here's one I think could be fun. Pick three careers, entirely unrelated to anything you do now, have done in the past, or are likely to do in the future, that you think you'd be remarkably well-suited to, and three which you think would be especially (humorously, preferably) disastrous. Here goes:

1) "Rental sister" for reclusive Japanese post-adolescents: The job is to coax dorky boys out of their rooms. I spent four years at Stuyvesant and four at the University of Chicago. I think this would be quite easy for me.

2) Iditarod leader/head sledder/whatever: I like big fluffy dogs.

3) IDF pilot: Perfect vision, pro-Israeli sentiment, Jewish ancestry, and basic knowledge of Hebrew. What else would I need?

And now, the nega-three:

1) Party promoter: It's hard to picture that anyone so good about updating a blog could possibly be cool enough to promote parties. While surprisingly enough I've hosted and co-hosted some good ones, anything on a larger scale is out of the question.

2) Miner: My biggest fear is of being trapped. And a combination of reading the news and reading Germinal doesn't exactly make the profession sound any more appealing.

3) Engineer: The worst part of high school was not the commute, not the geekiness of the boys (see above), but the physics labs which required some kind of adjustment of wires in ways I could never figure out, had it not been for my patient and far more capable than myself lab partner. (Thanks, Lloyd!) Anything along these lines, but at a higher level, would be bad news.

I pass this on to anyone who's up for it.

No comments: