Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Born-again atheists

There's an interesting post at UChicago blog Apt3W about born-again Chabad Jews. I don't know enough Hebrew to understand all of the post, but I think I get the gist of it, which is why do different Jews have different religious odysseys. This is something that, for all my reading on the Jewish response to the Dreyfus Affair, never really came up, and it's something I know very little about, and am trying to figure out why that is, so here's my best guess:

For whatever reason, Jews who rediscover their religion--unlike, say, Protestants or Muslims--tend not to do so religiously. In "Arguing the World" Joseph Dorman writes about how New York intellectuals Irving Kristol, Nathan Glazer, Daniel Bell, and Irving Howe all rediscovered their own Jewishness as a result of the Holocaust, which they experienced either indirectly as American Jews or through serving in WWII in Europe, noting that none of these men themselves became religious as part of their reawakening. Reading testimonials of Jews who returned to their roots following the Dreyfus Affair, one encounters the same story.  Nationalism, ethnic solidarity, a desire to help Jews in other countries, all of these sentiments surged in many, but God was never especially important. The pattern into which Theodor Herzl, Bernard Lazare, and Edmond Fleg (a Swiss-French Jew) fell was this: Assimilation, antisemitism (both from themselves and from the outside) followed by an acknowledgement that they're Jewish and there's nothing they can do about it, followed by a desire to make being Jewish a positive thing since, after all, they're stuck with it. But the inescapability of Judaism makes belief in God sort of secondary. To give my own story, such as it is, (and leaving out the large chunks of "my story" that involve going to Fox and Obel to buy cheese, thinking about nice dogs, or putting on glitter eyeliner), I've experienced something not unlike the post-Dreyfus contingent, which is perhaps why I find that whole crew so interesting. Various factors--moving away from NYC where being Jewish is something one never has to think about, September 11/neocons/war on terror, making a good friend who follows rules I'd previously only heard vague things about, reading books about Judaism written by people other than Philip Roth--made me more interested in, if not exactly my roots, then in Jewish history more generally. While things like living in Israel or going to grad school for many years to study European Jewish history seem perfectly reasonable, doing something as radical as going to services never crosses my mind. That's why the story of the newly-Chabad couple makes for an interesting change. I never think of someone Jewish having any sort of faith--pride, maybe--and certainly not as being born-again, although all this reveals, most likely, is my own ignorance, which cannot be overestimated. I think of Jews as returning to the fold as a response to issues larger than themselves--often but not always a discovery of just how much the world hates the Jewish people--and not as a response to personal crises or work-related disappointments, and as having revivals that are emotional or intellectual but not exactly spiritual.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, adam beat me to it, in part. I don't claim to understand it all, but I wonder why I get a sense of exceptionalism from both the post and the comment, as well as from other people when topics like this come up in conversation, a sense of "Why are/were we treated so much worse than everyone else? Why can't we just be left alone?", when discussing the historical treatment of Jews and the creation of a situation in which one would need to think about the issues raised in the post. As if, these sorts of things don't happen to every group, as if the religion, culture, and identity issues aren't as strong for other ethnicities. And I tend to think, perhaps a bit too bruskly, "Look, my race didn't even exist until Europeans came over and forged a new culture, new nations, after attempting to eradicate the ones already here. And then a second group of white people came over and stole half of that."

The thing exceptional that Jews have been really good at preserving, in some meaning, what it means to be a Jew. Few people discuss what it means to be an Aztec, fewer still to be from the tribes they subjugated. And Hispanics descended from the Spaniards who went north: god only knows what tribes contributed to my ancestry, I think we're from too far north to be Aztec (though my skin tone implies a lot of Spanish blood...). The Texas Rangers were NOT originally a law enforcement unit, and the border reminds one of the historical and political issues Mexico has faced over the last two centuries in dealing with the rest of the world. Equally vicious mistreatment by the world over the last half millenium, but we just don't have that sense of exceptionalism. I'm sure there's a good reason for the Jewish one, maybe any group would have that given the right circumstances, but I just can't wrap my head around that for some reason.

agm

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Adam--my main question is, since Judaism can be so many things, where does God fit into it? If there are nation-only Jews (which there are) then are there religion-only as well?

agm--Blogging is all about exceptionalism, so just be glad this blog isn't all about how annoyed I am that they now pre-make the mozzarella sandwiches at University Market. But I didn't ask, "Why are Jews more oppressed than any other group?" but "Why don't 'born-again' Jews believe in God, while born-agains of other faiths by definition believe in God?" If there are other religions in which this is the case as well, I'd be curious to know.

Anonymous said...

I don't know that the term born-again is used, but it is not unknown for people to say that being Catholic is just part of being Mexican. It's not about being religious, it's about which culture(s) you were raised in.

agm

Anonymous said...

If one wants to find "born-again Jews" who believe in God, one must simply look in the correct places -- they're out there. On the trip to Ukraine over spring break I met an ultra-orthodox girl from the north side who attends an all-girls Jewish university in Chicago, and she spoke of how her mother, against the girl's grandparents' wishes, created for herself a very pious, very religious lifestyle starting with lobbying for a year abroad in Israel in college. I could tell you more in person, but suffice to say, this is the most shocking modern story of a return to religious Judaism that I have ever heard. So, in answer to question #1, yes, there do exist "religiously awakened" Jews

In answer to your other question, are there Jews who are "religion only." I recall a gentleman I met at a Chabad dinner in Madrid -- really old, an international lawyer who saw his glory days post-WWII in human rights litigation. He insisted that Cervantes was Jewish and that certain parts of Don Quijote are lifted wholesale from the Talmud, but that's another story. The Point: this very accomplished and worldy gentleman insisted that Jews were not a "nation," but rather, that Judaism was "an outlook" shared by people of many nations. (Thank goodness Adam didn't have the opportunity to argue with him ;) )

Then again, the piece we read in Brinker's class, Abraham Isaac Kook's "Lights for Rebirth" (1910-1930). He says "Jewish secular nationalism is a form of self-delusion" etc, even people who think they're Jewish secular nationalists are reaffirming God etc.

So, I suppose every perspective one might take on the "recipie" for Jewish identity, chances are, there are people out there who would agree and those who would disagree with it, pluralism reigns king. And although this makes me nervous (how can one be a good Jew when every other fellow Jew you meet disagrees with your definition of what being Jewish means), it also fosters a culture of debate, which is certainly something to be proud of.