Sunday, February 24, 2008

My trip to church

I thought of Rita's amazing LOLSecret today when Jo announced, during a brief outing in Brooklyn, that he was not going to buy any books today. Sure enough, we ended up just happening to pass by a church book fair, and well... We now have a) eight more books, at least four of which we both want to read, and b) no more shelf space. Our limit at the sale was how much cash we had on us--the books ranged in price from 50 cents to $2, and combined, we had $14.50. This meant I had to set aside a biography of Disraeli (translated from French, which seemed pointless since my one life skill is the ability to read books in French) in favor of one of Heine, all part of my quest to contextualize the lesser-known French converts in their broader Western European context. And where better to do that than at a church? For a church book sale there were a ton of books on Jewish themes--donated, perhaps, by the Heine's of Park Slope--so my trip to church was in fact one of my more successful attempts at bargain-hunting for books on Jewish themes, for which the jokes make themselves.

No comments: