Thursday, September 28, 2006

Feels like a Friday

An elderly Irish woman, near a local church, once famously asked my mother, "Is it Suuuhnday?" And the answer, alas, was no. Well, all day today, I've been convinced beyond a doubt that it's Friday.

While most college students in America today know that Thursday is the new Friday, that the partying begins a day before it does for those in the real world, at the University of Chicago, you're likely to find yourself with some 9am class Friday mornings that ruins the whole thing. Not that there's much of a "whole thing" for those without Friday morning classes, so no loss. In any case, I'm used to the idea that Thursday is the old Thursday. But some combination of being completely exhausted and having a bunch of people encourage me to go out drinking tonight (seems I decided against, sleepy!) gave me the impression that this absolutely had to be a Friday. Then I saw all these Orthodox Jewish men on the subway, well past sunset. How odd, I thought. Have they changed the rules? I don't remember what enlightened me, although it may well have been the sudden recollection that I have library duty tomorrow morning (a fact that I mentioned to maybe five different people today, but that I myself was able to forget quite easily).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"An elderly Irish woman, near a local church, once famously asked my mother..."

"Fame, loosely defined", indeed...

"Then I saw all these Orthodox Jewish men on the subway, well past sunset. How odd, I thought. Have they changed the rules?"

Yup. You can now ride express trains during the Sabbath, but local trains are still verboten.

Clementine Gallot said...

Thursday totally is the new Friday. esp. after 19th century class is over.

After getting this email right after leaving the library and forgetting the key I'm still not sure what those library duties are..