Thursday, September 05, 2013

"I Should Worry"

My dentist's office has a poster that says "I Should Worry," from an old movie or play or something. While I wasn't all that worried at the dentist (pleasantly surprised that the cleaning removed a stain from one of my front teeth, but that's about it), I can/should/do worry for enough other reasons. For example:

-The letter in the mail from the registrar, letting me know I had "not satisfied" my language requirement. My what? There's this whole complicated thing where the French department has a language requirement (apart from, like, French), but the French-French Studies program does not, such that even though I've taken a decent amount of Hebrew, even though I've more recently taken a German-for-reading course (and exam, although I never did get that back), as far as the university's concerned, I only check the French and English boxes. Which, fair enough, but shouldn't the registrar know this???? The four question marks refer to the fact that I got this letter a few days before the day. As in, maybe if there's some existing problem that would prevent me from graduating, I'd have wanted to know about it sooner??????? And had that German exam actually count towards something?????????????? This was of course all cleared up after a quickish call to the registrar, but still.

-The cute little terrier-mini-schnauzer-type dog wandering into the road in front of a car that I, in what is likely to be my life's one moment of bravery, very dramatically saved from an SUV barreling along at maybe 10mph. I was out walking my own yippy gray dog, which made catching this one all the more complicated. But with the help of a little boy (who wanted to keep it, but whose parents vetoed that option) and then my husband, I was able to bring the dog around, first to the house down the road that's filled with dogs just like it (no one was home), and then back home, where Bisou was like, can we keep it?, but instead, after trying the number on the tag several times, finally they picked up. "They" not being the terrier people after all, but another family that seemed kind of blasé about the whole thing. (Am I a helicopter dog-owner? I mean, this dog was in the road, alone, wandering in front of a car...) But my panicking around the neighborhood did eventually get back to the terrier people, so the terrier woman came by here, after I'd dropped off that terrier, and I was like, gah, more terriers! everywhere, terriers!, but I reassured her (she was concerned) that the other terrier was back home.

1 comment:

Petey said...

"The letter in the mail from the registrar, letting me know I had "not satisfied" my language requirement. My what? ... This was of course all cleared up after a quickish call to the registrar, but still."

Beware! They won't give you any advance warning about meeting the PhysEd requirement. If your paperwork isn't in order showing you have satisfied the requirement, they end up just dismissing your dissertation without further notice.