Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Defended!

It's done! Forms are in and everything! And my car wasn't even towed! The defense itself is a bit of a blur, but I remember taking notes. I remember it going well, and that the criticisms were useful, not scary or gotcha or whatever it is one is meant to expect from that type of situation. I remember that despite an overwhelming fear that I'd fail (inspired in part by learning, a week or so beforehand, that someone once failed a math defense when a famous professor deemed the project "trivial") preventing me from planning any kind of immediate post-thingy celebration, some friends saw to it that I didn't spend the entire post-defense in the inevitable late-afternoon nap.

Now I have nothing left to do but throw myself into an idiosyncratic, likely academic and non-academic permanent-job search that may yet end with a postdoc at air-conditioner-repair school. (If you happen to know/hear of/wish to create a position in French-Jewish Studies...) And all the various writing projects I'd lost track of, what with it, can now be resumed, and the existing ones continued. Likely including WWPD, unless air-conditioner-repair school has some clause against it.

11 comments:

Flavia said...

Congratulations! Pains au chocolat for everyone!

I assume you know about this? Nearby, anyway. . .

WF said...

Congrats! Looking forward to more WWPD.

caryatis said...

Congratulations!

fourtinefork said...

Congratulations!

Petey said...

Congrats!

(Have you considered air-conditioner repair just for the French-Jewish community of central New Jersey? You could corner the market.)

Sigivald said...

1) Congratulations!

2) Trade school is not the worst idea.

Foose said...

Congratulations indeed! Any thought of turning your dissertation into a book? I for one love books on les belles juives of the 19th century and would be keen to read it. And with the right marketing (special Website, constant social media chittering, and appearances on the book-talk circuit) it could make a splash in the popular-history (as opposed to the scholarly-specialized) market. (Although I don't know if you would want this ...?)

K said...

Excellent. Congratulations!

Petey said...

Upon second thought, why go to trade school when you can put your advanced degree to use?

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Thanks all! Well, perhaps not all - only I'm allowed to make self-deprecating remarks about the marketability of my own skills. Which may be marketable yet. Although air-conditioner-repair definitely is, and I should know, because this very morning, my broken a/c was repaired.

Flavia,

Thanks for reminding me of that - several years ago they'd had a fellowship theme that would have been perfect, but if nothing else, I need to remember to stop by there sometime and introduce myself.

Britta said...

Congratulations!