Friday, January 29, 2010

Recipes in prose

Last night, I impulsively whipped up a batch of something I hoped would approximate Flemish rice-pudding tart, minus the crust. Shocking, shocking success, considering I had neither saffron nor whole milk at the ready. If you cook Japanese-type sticky rice in skim milk with vanilla extract, sugar, and a pinch of salt, over a low flame, adding more milk as needed, stirring as close to continuously as you can handle, then pour a portion of the results into a ramekin, sprinkle a bit more sugar on top, and hope the broiler doesn't explode the ramekin and its contents, you too will experience the joy that is a rustic dessert made from pantry ingredients that might have been wasted by being put to healthier use. There's more rice pudding in the fridge, so next round I subject to the broiled-ramekin treatment will get a photograph that I'll add to this post.

2 comments:

Matt said...

That sounds really good, except for the skim milk part. There's really no excuse for skim milk, especially in NYC where you can get wonderful, wonderful Ronnybrook creamline milk. I'm sure if I had it I'd keep thinking, "this is great, but would be even better if it were made with whole milk." And it would be!

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Ronnybrook's great, but whole milk, ick. For cooking, yes, but in cereal or coffee? No thanks!