Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Schleppers don't get carded

Before you're 21, it's a good thing not to get carded. Not necessarily the case when you're over 21. Today, after work, after a trip to the Fairway that I believe might technically qualify as a "shlep," I went to a liquor store to pick up some wine for dinner (we're having relatives over any minute now) and, fully ready to prove my veritable 21-ness, I confidently walked up to the register with two bottles. And...nothing. My passport never had to leave the bag.

I know that in NYC many restaurants and some bars don't card, but a liquor store's supposed to be different. And that's when the sad truth hit me--with a bag from the Fairway as well as another shopping bag, I looked like any other disheveled woman on the Upper West Side. Rowdy underage kids don't go into liquor stores by themselves, carrying three bags of roasted nuts and a fruit tart.

3 comments:

Lucky Jim said...

Ah, but now they know just which kind of cover to use when they do try to buy liquor.

They'll be passing a single can of nuts & a fruit tart amongst themselves for months to come.

Nick said...

being 21 was the most underwhelming experience of my life.

under-21s already have ACCESS to alcohol...as 21 year olds, they just get to buy it at restaurants and liquor stores, and they get to gamble. neither of which most 21 year olds can afford to do in great quantities...

meh.

Maureen said...

I'm actually looking forward to being 21 so that I can go to cool Chicago clubs and also, geekily enough, Jimmy's. I really don't care about the state deigning to serve me alcohol.