Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Are you being served?

A commentor notes that the proverbial alien visiting Paris and NYC, who I said wouldn't be able to tell equivalent neighborhoods in both cities apart, would find NYers friendlier. I found Parisians to be unfriendly compared to NYers, but didn't know how much of what I sensed came from me being a NYer and thus breaking fewer obvious social rules than I probably did unknowingly in Paris. But still, there was an attitude among people working in shops in Paris that they were really going out of their way to let you into their shop, that you were really bothering them by trying to purchase something. For instance, if I didn't have exact change at a bakery, the cashier would seem more upset about having to go to the register than happy about making a sale. In NYC, when you enter a store or bakery, you're generally asked, sometimes repetitively or by several people, whether anything interests you. Does this mean that Americans are crass and money-obsessed or that French people are rude? Or, to be more charitable, does this mean that Americans are friendly and wonderful or that French people are motivated by non-commercial, more human interests?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to add on to what Alex said about friendly New Yorkers helping visitors get to the Cloisters. Only two weeks ago, I was a lost Ohioan wandering around NYC trying to get to the Cloisters and not only did the woman I stopped to get directions from point me in the right direction, she dropped all her bags to draw me a little map and even suggested alternate routes! So, 'here here!!' on the New Yorkers are nice comments.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

I agree with Alex and Anonymous that NYers are good about giving directions. I had a strange directions-related experience in the Marais, though. People would come up to me to ask directions, but they'd ask in English. I'm not sure if they'd even heard me speaking English, I got the impression they just kind of assumed I was both anglophone and knowledgeable when it came to getting around the Marais. Well, luckily for them, they were right on both counts.

OK, must think of something else, now have immense desire to get tarte tatin and about 500 pairs of shoes...