Sunday, September 12, 2004

NuShu

SOME BACKGROUND:

So one day this summer I was walking down the street and talking about how much I hate hipsters or something like that and I said that if I was a hipster and if I had a band that I would call that band "NuShu" in honor of the sneaker fetish I don't have and the Japanese fetish I also don't have. I would have more of both if I was more of a hipster.

NuShu. See, it looks and sounds Japanese. But it only means something in English.

Anyway the point is that people who obsess over sneakers are rather ridiculous. EXCEPT THAT I AM NOW ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE. Phoebe, I join you. Not only in your blog, but also, it seems, in your sneaker shopping fetish.

The point of this all is...the point of this all is...Why can't I find myself a pair of those Reebok Splashes?

Walk into any footlocker and you'll find they have a Splash in size 8. They got it in size 9. Size 8.5? Are you kidding me? Try asking for a Splash. Try not feeling stupid when you do it. Not so easy.

PROGRESS:

Kind kind man works at Footlocker at 42nd Street. I rush in. I am Woman on a Mission (as usual). I am interested in a pair of sneakers, size 8.5. Splash sneakers if you will. Black with hot hot pink trim.

"I don't know why anybody is interested in these sneakers!" kind kind man says.

"I am interested. I have been to 7 Footlockers already. Is that interested or is that interested? Size 8.5, please!" I say.

"I don't think I have that but I'll check." he says and walks away for five hundred minutes.

500 Minutes later...

"Size 9! I have a size 9!" he says

"How about a size 8.5?" I ask

"We don't have a size 8.5. I don't know why anybody wants these shoes. They sold out in many sizes our first day here. The first few hours."

"Where can I get a size 8.5?"

"Call Soho. They get shoes we never get. Things there...we never see." Slightly mystical glaze covers kind man's eyes. He is kind because he wants to help me. A clue.

EPILOGUE:

Now the only thing stopping me from calling Soho is the stupid feeling one gets after already going to eight Footlockers and relizing that if you go to another one that would mean you've stopped at nine Footlockers this past week alone.

p.s. I am Molly, from Phoebe's sidebar.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, Molly, Footlockers are not the answer. To anything. One nano-second on Froogle and the sneakers will be yours:
http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/ccn_cart/act/p%2C8955261/ccsyn/260

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Molly,

I think once you've gone to 3 Footlockers, you've reached the Footlocker threshold, meaning that 9 Footlocker visits is no worse than 8.

Anonymous said...

Wrong continent, right shoe:
http://www.reebokstore.co.uk/stores/reebok/womens/product_details.aspx?pid=14170&bid=10&mid=118&cid=1989

Anonymous said...

Wrong continent, right shoe:
http://www.reebokstore.co.uk/stores/reebok/womens/product_details.aspx?pid=14170&bid=10&mid=118&cid=1989

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Those are awesome sneakers. Go get'em Molly!