Thursday, October 17, 2013

"Let's go to the Cheesecake Factory at the mall!"

-me, entirely non-ironically, to my husband, just now.

Because my computer cord broke, and the Apple Store is in a mall that just got a Uniqlo, and we've never been to a Cheesecake Factory, not out of some kind of strategic avoidance, there just aren't a lot (or any!) where we're from. There was a context. But still. Whatever persona I may have once had of the native New Yorker who studies nineteenth-century French literature and wears "a jacket" from time to time, all of that was taken away from me in exchange for that much-struggled-for New Jersey drivers' license. You can take the girl out of Manhattan and, evidently, take the Manhattan out of the girl.

4 comments:

Petey said...

I hear that out in real Murika, Sarah Palin makes a lot of sense if you can just get past the lamestream media depiction...

fourtinefork said...

No! No! No! Don't do it!

I went to a Cheesecake Factory about 10 years ago in New Jersey. I still remember the experience, and not fondly. I stupidly ordered something called the "Fiesta Burrito," and, well, it was everything and more you would imagine something called a "Fiesta Burrito" at the Cheesecake Factory could be.

I actually kind of like crap. I eat potato chips for dinner frequently. But Cheesecake Factory terrifies me.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Petey,

It's only the NJ suburbs I've assimilated to, which is still Fake America by most standards. I wouldn't get too excited.

Fourtinefork,

The errand had to be done today, and ultimately it turned out there was a Thai place with a good lunch special nearby. No Cheesecake after all. It's supposed to be better than equivalents (Applebees, say) because they use real ingredients, but then again, that seems a low bar. Thai food (Origin in Somerville, for the curious) was excellent and under $20 for two, so probably cheaper than mall-ier options, but evidently becomes a more formal restaurant at night.

Petey said...

"No Cheesecake after all."

unassimilated...