Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hello navel

Googling myself before returning to a 600-plus page tome about the experiences of (you guessed it) a 19th century French Jew, I discovered two surprising things. One, a blog post I wrote in response to an article in PresenTense was reprinted in full in a following issue as a "Letter to the Editor." I don't remember ever sending anyone a letter, so Ariel, if you're reading this, ma zeh? Isn't the usual practice that you have to actually direct the comments to the publication? In any case, the blog post is credited, and the attention paid to my bloggings is flattering, so my confusion is basically in how the word "letter" entered the picture.

In less flattering fame, I should probably consider moving away from Park Slope, as my unfavorable words for the Food Co-op apparently reached the arugula-eating hordes. (I just purchased some Citarella arugula myself--$1.29, pas cher!--and brought it back via subway, just to make a point.) In a piece aptly titled, "Googling Ourselves," a Co-op member asks, of guess who, "Has this woman actually seen the Coop?" A strange question when one considers that among my many grievances with the institution, mentioned in the post she responds to, was that the Coop folk would not allow me to look inside. Ultimately, accompanied by a friend who was then a member, I did get a good look, but mocking someone for never having seen the inside of a supermarket that doesn't allow non-members to enter except under special circumstances strikes me as plenty amusing.

And, one last moment of narcissism: haircut=done!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"In less flattering fame, I should probably consider moving away from Park Slope, as my unfavorable words for the Food Co-op apparently reached the arugula-eating hordes."

Who's the Sarah Palin now?