Sunday, November 06, 2005

Overwashed, overthought

We already have Seven for All Mankind and Citizens of Humanity. What's missing from the lineup of designer jeans is a brand called Rights of Man, or, better yet, Droits de l'Homme. The left back pocket would be embroidered with the original declaration, while the right would be embroidered with a passage from Hannah Arendt's critique. Because it's the insignia on the ass that reminds people of the brand. This would be at once more obvious and more subtle than whether a blueish line curves in one way or another.


Nathan said...

Love it.

joe said...

Honey, do these jeans make my butt look universal?

figleaf said...

Hi Phoebe,

Though I'm currently just a run-of-the-mill sex blogger I'd buy almost any kind of clothes with Arendt's critique of the Rights of Man.

Which reminds me, it's past time I reread On Revolution. I'm not sure I'll be more comforted or distressed this time. I'll certainly be more nostalgic... oh wait, Kevin Drum makes me think "distressed." Thanks.


(#1 my site is not work safe, #2 I found your site via Matt Yglasias and really appreciated your critique of Leon Kass.)