Sunday, November 06, 2005

Overwashed, overthought

We already have Seven for All Mankind and Citizens of Humanity. What's missing from the lineup of designer jeans is a brand called Rights of Man, or, better yet, Droits de l'Homme. The left back pocket would be embroidered with the original declaration, while the right would be embroidered with a passage from Hannah Arendt's critique. Because it's the insignia on the ass that reminds people of the brand. This would be at once more obvious and more subtle than whether a blueish line curves in one way or another.

3 comments:

Hat said...

Love it.

joe said...

Honey, do these jeans make my butt look universal?

figleaf said...

Hi Phoebe,

Though I'm currently just a run-of-the-mill sex blogger I'd buy almost any kind of clothes with Arendt's critique of the Rights of Man.

Which reminds me, it's past time I reread On Revolution. I'm not sure I'll be more comforted or distressed this time. I'll certainly be more nostalgic... oh wait, Kevin Drum makes me think "distressed." Thanks.

figleaf

(#1 my site is not work safe, #2 I found your site via Matt Yglasias and really appreciated your critique of Leon Kass.)