Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I'm an addict!

So I realized when I made it to 1pm (barely) with no caffeine. While one might assume I would at that point be up for even the most burnt 75-cent cup of coffee known to Midtown coffee-carts, one would be way off. To compensate for a caffeine-free start to the day, and to cancel out the headachy fogginess, I got a nice-sized (though called "small") mocha. It was fantabulous, but cost more than I'd meant to spend on lunch.

This is not much of a story, I realize. But once the post-mocha crash fades, you'll be hearing about the French riots, Japanese hair-straightening, Natalie Portman in various states of undress, or whatever it is WWPD's readers are most interested in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First I cringed (slightly), then realized there's a brilliant link between all of these, except, as far as I can see, for the mocha. The connection is racial/ethnic self-consciousness, self-identity. Can a Jew be a not-exotic sex object? What does it take to cross the threshhold of assimilation--how straight does Japanese hair have to be? I'm waiting to hear.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Sure--to other Jews, in Israel or elsewhere. Or to Asians, or others who are considered less "white" than (white) Jews are in America.

And, for the record, there are many Jews with very (naturally) straight hair. Small noses, too, I've heard. An Alicia Silverstone, for example, or various relatives of mine who are not celebrities and thus did not ask to be blogged about. Do these Jews get to be non-exotic sex objects?