Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Here we go again: Where was I when this happened?

My mother met Philip Roth! In front of Zabars! She had just bought one of his books at one of the Upper West Side's many sidewalk booksellers and was asking the man selling it how he came to have so many signed copies of Roth's books. Then she turned around and there was Roth himself! My mother asked him if he was, well, Philip Roth. Yup. He apparently told her she'd overpaid for the book (it was $2 more than list price because it was autographed) and this led to a whole chat. She said that she started babbling, about how she likes his books, but her daughter really likes his books. She says Roth's a nice guy, and not all that neurotic in real life.

(Does that mean I have to change my blog's subhead?)

No comments: