Sunday, December 09, 2012

Write what you know

Lena Dunham confirms what I've been saying since forever: everyone should wear eyeliner. It's always a good idea. Meanwhile, "Girls" advertises on Gawker, while Gawker has some fun at the very expensive expense of its creator. Dunham's zillion-dollar book proposal is probably designed to inspire but it's not fair from exactly the kind of people who will probably eventually pick up a copy at a Park Slope stoop sale, Housing Works booksale, or allow me to add some more NYC references so as to snag a deal like that myself, so as to parlay yet another Manhattan childhood and recent-college-grad-hood into a book to be foisted upon an audience whose eyes are already mid-roll. But that bores me even more than it does you. What's the market these days for a novel about life at a science institute in the woods of NJ? If there is one, then train-work needs to be more that, less dissertation.

4 comments:

PG said...

Is it eyeliner or massive false eyelashes doing the work there? Particularly on Dunhan's lower lids?

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

She's obviously wearing both (and eyeshadow, and perhaps Photoshop), but if we translate this look from the photoshoot to its everyday equivalent, a cat-eye with liquid liner and maybe mascara (not to rehash that discussion - depends on various factors) would do the trick.

fourtinefork said...

I will likely sound shallow, stupid, airheaded, whatever. But, hell yes to wearing eyeliner. I only started a few months ago. My life has improved, markedly, since then.

(Laura Mercier caviar sticks, the chubby Sephora ones, and this Stila gel stuff. Not all at the same time, of course!)

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Interesting suggestions! While I'm pro-eyeliner, I have no real favorite at the moment. Some Stila liquid pen that's easy to apply but too sheer, not dark enough. A Bourjois thin glitter pencil (black, with fine silver-colored glitter) I'm thrilled with, but glitter pencil isn't for every day. Eyeshadow, meanwhile, is always a disaster. I can see that can look great, but I wouldn't know what to do with it.