Friday, November 30, 2012

Biohazard

Breaking with a long policy of I-don't-bring-food-to-class, I, yes, brought food to class. But nothing I, like, baked. It was for vaguely pedagogical reasons (on mange du fromage, mais on aime le fromage - a point I'd been droning on about for a while, and I figured maybe some actual fromage would drive the point home) but the main issue with it was that boy oh boy did it stink. I chose a camembert very quickly at Murray's on the way to class, thinking it was a classic French cheese, one I knew was good, and one students might not have tried (i.e. not brie). I teach in a basement classroom. I am an idiot. I rarely let class out even a few minutes early, but it had to be done.

4 comments:

Noelle said...

Biohazard or no, I now feel a bit cheated that my instructor in French for Reading simply expected us to understand the partitive instead of demonstrating it with food. . . .

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

One drawback to the for-reading language class is that you then go to the country (Germany, in my case) and can't communicate. The other is that the kindergarten aspects - food, music - tend to be left out.

Noelle said...

As to the kindergarten aspects, definitely, although we have managed to get a bit of music (ask me about having chirpy '50s Brigitte Bardot stuck in my head). It doesn't help that my actual degree is in classical languages; none of my professors has ever invited us to sample stuffed dormice.

Andrew Stevens said...

I had garum in a Latin class once (okay, nobody knows the actual recipe for garum - it was best guess). It was pretty disgusting. Of course, you can eat anything if you grew up with it, so that doesn't mean the recipe was wrong.