Friday, March 11, 2011

Fish on Fridays

-Heights of fame, or at least a chance to make my obsessions with wallabies and garlic scapes known to a wider audience.

-Cultural Catholicism lives on in Paris - in the course of my jogging/grocery-shopping expedition this morning, I ran across many, many fish markets with lots of customers. (I observed this traditional approach to food as I picked bits of the pain au chocolat I was eating out of my fleece. For the record, as crumbs-on-fabric go, croissant flakes do not brush easily off fleece.)

-I finally sat in on a French university seminar. It was ostensibly about something altogether unrelated, but l'Affaire Galliano was mentioned! Several times! I sat up from my usual listening-to-lecture slouch and took notice! Unfortunately this was not the portion of the class during which participation was encouraged, but if it had been, that would have been something.

7 comments:

Withywindle said...

I also liked Rushmore.

David Schraub said...

Hey, congrats on the NB profile! That's really cool.

Britta said...

Nice interview. Speaking of unsolicited comments on your appearance, I think Tina Fey looks way more like you than Natalie Portman does. From some of the photos you've posted, there's definitely a resemblance beyond the pale with dark hair similarities.

Also, I think the realization that no one thinks as much about you as you do is really important for graduate school, when you realize that your advisor is not losing sleep wondering why the draft you promised her 3 weeks ago is so late like you are.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Withywindle,

Yup!

David,

Thanks!

Britta,

Agreed 110% re: the Fey resemblance, even separate from my identification with the character of Liz Lemon, which is second only to my identification with George Costanza. My thinking was more that Portman, by law, must now appear in every movie she could possibly appear in. And a movie of my life ("The Writing a Dissertation in a Tiny Room Story") would be such a film.

David Schraub said...

I wonder if every petite brunette looks like Tina Fey. I have a friend who is to Tina Fey as Tina Fey is to Sarah Palin. It's uncanny.

PG said...

Re: the unfulfilled desire for a driver's license, seriously, I think you'd find it much easier if you did it outside NYC. Get to the point in your dissertation that you no longer need a great library, move to someplace like East Texas for a couple months, and take driver's ed there while you finish your writing. There's so much space on the road, parallel parking is a theoretical concept.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

PG,

That's the plan. Not Texas, but not NYC either.