Thursday, October 28, 2010

Either-or

Today was especially productive work-wise, probably because the device I'm now typing on (Last Legs MacBook) was at home, and I was not. The extra-shot iced cappuccino also didn't hurt. However, working in a coffee shop has its disadvantages. While trying to focus on the question of Jews and intermarriage in 19th C France, I overheard the following, from someone I surmised from various remarks was a Jewish, but not pious, college freshman: "I'm looking for a husband. He either needs to be Jewish or hot." This in the course of an intense discussion of hook-ups, male beauty, and I won't go into more detail so as not to accidentally reveal anyone's identity, but it was quite compelling. The conversation was both tangentially relevant to, and distracting from, the task at hand.

No comments: