Friday, April 10, 2009

Why we can't all just get along: Laundry Edition

If you point to a yoga mat in an otherwise empty dryer and ask if it's anyone's, and no one claims it, do not boot the yoga mat and everything from a separate, entirely unrelated dryer that someone else (me) was about to start. Do not, when the person you just booted says, in a pleasant tone, fine, whatever, use that dryer, take that to mean it's lecture time. (I explained that I thought she just meant the mat, but that it was fine, whatever, I wasn't annoyed, it was a misunderstanding, that's all, but this only seemed to get her more riled up.)

More to the point: do not begin offering unsolicited 'This is how to do your laundry' advice, as though speaking to a child, to a person your own age, if you yourself have brought with you to the laundromat a whimpering (if very cute) lap dog, whose leash holds it such that the dog has access to other people's clean clothes, not to mention such that the dog-leash combo makes it impossible to get one's laundry from Point A to Point B without tripping over the dog, the leash, or both.

3 comments:

Paul Gowder said...

You are a better person than I am: I would be tempted to kick the dog. I like to think I would not, in fact, kick the dog, but it would be very, very tempted. Especially if it was yappy.

Phoebe said...

No! The dog was an innocent in all of this.

PG said...

As a general rule, it's always better to kick the human.