Friday, December 14, 2007

Better than steroids

I went to the gym twice in one week, which has to be some kind of record. I cannot believe this article about how, if you think about something other than running, you can run for longer than you could otherwise, doesn't mention the obvious: television. Any television will do. Today it was a show called "Yes, Dear," which I'm pretty sure is the worst of the post-Seinfeld unwatchably bad sitcoms, but I remember the show more vividly than the agony of minute 28 of 30 of the run. I mean, a "South Park" would have been better, but it's painful to laugh and run at the same time, so in a way what you want is one of those shows with a laugh track that doesn't correspond to any real punch lines. If I had a headset with one such show on loop, I could totally run a marathon. Don't quote me on that.

In other news, re: the gym, why must the nomadic Belgian waffle truck park itself out front?

6 comments:

Scott Lemieux said...

And if there's no TV, I use music + reading material.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

I don't see how reading and running at the same time would be possible. I also don't see how using an elliptical machine is possible, period, so maybe I'm not the best example.

Anonymous said...

Those elliptical machines look unharmonious - Tonight there was a good Seinfeld rerun on - An early one, when Elaine left a saucy message on Jerry's answering machine. There aren't any good shows like that these days - It seems like they are all these crime shows.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Ooh, Seinfeld is perfect--quality television, but I've seen them all and so do not need to laugh out loud.

In other exercise news, re: this post:

"I feel there's always something left out on the elliptical machine" -Jo.

"The hyperbolic machine is overrated"- He can't seem to help himself.

Anonymous said...

The elliptical machine is for poets.

Anonymous said...

The treadmill is for prose.