Monday, September 12, 2005

An attempt at yuppiedom

I live in gentrified Brooklyn and am a young urban professional. So today I went for a run, which I'd better call a jog, and which included a bit of a walk. After work, convinced from the air-conditioning at the office that it must be cool out, I headed to the park to run what I thought would be a 2 1/2 mile loop. After over half an hour of slow running, I realized I had not yet completed this loop. While I am not by any means a fast runner, I am not generally this slow. Had I overshot the mark? I had absolutely no idea how far I was from where I'd entered, so I asked a couple of teenagers, who informed me that the entrance I was looking for was really far away. So I began to walk, thinking myself pathetic for doing so, but realizing that the end might never arrive. And then a few moments later...the entrance. Turns out there's a smaller running loop and then a road that's well over 3 miles, and I'd taken the road, on which I dodged bikes, cars, and a horse being ridden by one not especially advanced riding student. Oh well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What did you end up getting a job doing?