Monday, June 13, 2005

Regrets

College was fab, the University of Chicago is the best university ever, and yet I find myself with a few regrets, a few things I wish I'd done differently during college. First, I should have started taking Hebrew as a first-year. It was an awesome class, I learned a ton, the prof was great, and the cookies, the chocolates, the occasional ball of falafel... So yeah, Hebrew. And science classes: I should not have taken the non-major bio and astrophysics, but should instead have taken real biology and real chemistry. It was the 8:30 AM meeting time that kept me away from chemistry, but Hebrew was at 9 AM and that worked out just fine (or so I say now; I whined about it a bit at the time). Real physics, however, would have been a disaster. While non-major science classes were a challenge, there's something not so rewarding about doing well in them, and something utterly miserable about doing not-so-well in them (I've done both). Plus, the profs for classes for non-majors know they're preaching to the bored, and when boredom keeps getting reinforced, all the Classics mochas, Div School cappuccinos, and cheap coffee from Cobb in the world can't prevent naps from ensuing. And one last regret: Why did I ship my bike back to NYC before third year? A bike would've been nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The quality of your regrets just shows what a great place U of C is and what a great fit it was for you. Congrats on graduation. --JM