Friday, August 06, 2010

Frahnce proves not that bad after all

After a variety of summer reschedulings made the trip to the library take over an hour, three trains, and two metro tickets, I was pleased to discover that the health-food café of all places near the library has a breakfast deal that's a coffee of your choice plus a (butter!) croissant - and a little piece of dark chocolate, which would have been redundant if I'd opted for the pain au chocolat - for the totally acceptable price of 2.20 euros total. Also key, they have wireless, allowing me to reschedule the library appointment I'd already missed. I could see getting lunch at the same place later, if only out of loyalty, but from where I'm sitting I see a wide array of shredded-carrot salads, which I don't think is the stuff to sustain research till closing time at 8pm.

Next up, an Illy café with wireless, ample seating, sweetened iced blended coffee which I will only imagine rivals that of Tel Aviv, and which (crucial because of the train issues) is probably only a 45-minute walk from the apartment.

And yes, I'm tempted to start a copycat blog for Paris.

3 comments:

Enamored of your beauty and charm said...

Between reading your coffee discovery today and finding that pic of you with a demitasse on your NYU site, I think I am in love. You are lovely in more ways than one! Whoever gets to see those eyes over an espresso is super lucky.

BTW, I found this, and subsequently your other blogs, via Andrew Sullivan, as I am a lazy somewhat old-school internet user. Your blog is fun and idiosyncratic and I've enjoyed your thoughts. Do keep sharing!

Anonymous said...

Just be thankful you aren't trying to travel by train in Germany.

(E.g.: http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,706240,00.html

http://www.thelocal.de/politics/20100722-28671.html)

Let's just say that I have stories.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Enamored,

How flattering!

Daniel Goldberg,

That doesn't look good. I traveled quite a bit by train in Germany last summer and don't remember any problems. I can't say I'm all that "thankful," though, because when the metro doesn't run to my apt here, getting to and from the library becomes a research project (not to mention involved exercise routine) of its own.