Thursday, July 15, 2010

On not changing teams UPDATED

Last night, while waiting to meet some friends for Bastille Day, I found myself in the middle of a free concert. That concert turned out to be a meeting of a pro-Palestinian Communist student group. What can I say? They convinced me.

Nah. I'm off to buy a handbag (convinced by my mother, who thinks my $15 early-college-era H&M standby has to go, and by Amber's ode to quality leather goods - no details on this particular bag's price other than that it is to a grad student what the bags discussed at Prettier than Napoleon are to a corporate lawyer) and then to study at the library of a proto-Jewish-nationalist organization. Zionist and bourgeoise as ever around here.

UPDATE

Amber asked, and I'm answering:



Image from the Valérie Salacroux website.

Size may be tough to picture, but it's good for a wallet, book, phone, keys, etc., but is not, nor is it intended to be, a backpack replacement. I wasn't sure about the long strap at first, but it turned out quite comfortable. It's not the most expensive thing I own (that's what I'm typing on) but it made a change from H&M.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Yay! Photos, please.

kei said...

So cute! A little contemporary, but timeless too. I'm so tempted to press "ACHETEZ" for the clogg-y sandals...but I'm also afraid to know what the currency exchange rate is for the euro & dollar!

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

What I like about it is the slight equestrian-ness - the strap and the way the top looks like a saddle. Subtle yet equestrian is a look I would have assumed either cost my entire stipend (think Hermes) or required scouring actual riding shops.

And I've seen those shoes in person. They're gorgeous, and the exchange rate's not that bad. I can't buy anything else of this nature for a while, but you should go for it and I'll enjoy them vicariously.

Jessica said...

does the "en veau naturel" actually made that your cute little handbag is made of a cute baby cow? awww....!

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

The bag was made in France, so I just assume the rest of the veal was made into something delicious.