Friday, October 02, 2009

Uniqlo but more so

There will be more on privilege at some point, perhaps once my apartment is privileged with Internet access.

Meanwhile, if you are privileged enough to live in New York (a city with many negatives, it's true, but this positive cancels them out), and have time to stand on a line in SoHo (the line I was on yesterday took maybe 10-15 minutes, although some report hour-long waits), I highly recommend the Uniqlo +J Jil Sander line. Because I had no preexisting knowledge of Jil Sander or what this designer is supposed to represent, my best description of what's there is that there's a whole bunch of clothing that's Uniqlo but more so - more minimalist gray-black-or-navy, slightly more interesting cuts, and no price difference from regular Uniqlo, which is to say, prepare to spend less than you would at the Gap. Just about everything was... perfect. I had to remind myself what I already own (various black jackets, two pairs of gray pants...) so as not to go too crazy, but I still ended up with the winter coat to end all winter coats, along with a navy sweater that might not end all sweaters, but that was still chic and inexpensive enough that there's a good chance I'll return to get the same one in gray, that is, assuming I don't find these...

Daydream over, back to the prospectus...

4 comments:

kei said...

You should post pictures of these winners! Uniqlo needs to hook it up in the Midwest. Sounds like things were civilized, thank goodness.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

The links to the store page don't work for you? Anyway, turns out the coat, I learned, comes from the men's +J collection, which doesn't bother me but came as a surprise because it's tiny.

kei said...

Oh, I meant pictures of you wearing the new items! I've seen tons of pictures of the clothes and jackets, but none of anyone (or at least non-models...now I'm not sure if I have seen them on humans or not) wearing them. But that's your call, I'm sure they look good on you! :D

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Oh, for sure! I'll in all likelihood be wearing both every day weather permits, so next pictures I'm in, so will be the +J excitement.