Sunday, April 26, 2009

Voluntary track practice

Though an atheist, I do sometimes think I've found evidence of God's plan for the world. Today, for instance, I learned that God does not want me to work out, now that it's no longer a requirement for getting into college. Evidence:

1) Running the 3.3 mile, hilly loop in Prospect Park, not to mention running to said loop? Kind of painful. Will remember not to do it again, at least not pre-coffee.

2) Jo promised to buzz me in, so I wouldn't need to bring keys. A good plan, except that our buzzer is apparently broken. It took my remembering that we can hear every single thing from outside (usually children screaming mooooommmmyyyyy, in that it's Park Slope), so I tried yelling Jo's name and, sure enough, this worked.

3) When I run, inside or out, rain or shine, I turn the color of the vegetable Obama famously will not touch. It's startling.

4) My run finished at about five to ten. The shop near the park selling expensive pastries and cheese opens at 10am Sunday mornings. You do the math.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I turn the color of the vegetable Obama famously will not touch...
good thing for you that's BEETS and not KALE...
dave.s.

Matt said...

I have the "red face" problem w/ exercise of most sorts, too, to where people often think I'm in a bad state. And, it doesn't go away easily for some time. It's annoying, but did make me like swimming even more when I used to do it regularly because I didn't have the problem with that.

PG said...

I look a lot better after exercise than before, because I'm naturally a bit yellowish and getting blood into my face balances that out and makes me look flushed in a good way. However, this aspect of vanity has had no more effect on my (lack of) exercise habits than the more standard ones have.